Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Impressions of Wine, Women and Shoes...

On last Saturday I got to volunteer for one more event for Second Harvest Food Bank, an amazing organization who really makes a difference fighting hunger in my city and all Central Florida as well.
The event was Wine, Women and Shoes with so many women dressed to the nines, guys holding platters of shoes, free-flowing wine and hors d'oeuvres, silent auction and boutiques selling shoes and accessories. I wear my black pants and white shirt (colors for volunteers) with my new-used colorful shoes (that I got for free days before) my new beautiful haircut and a make-up to survive the long hours there. The total of my outfit ? Probably, $45... not that I care about it but makes me laugh to see the ladies wearing a pair of shoes around $350.
Of course, the best part was that a 100%  of the proceeds benefited Second Harvest Food Bank; and makes 'acceptable' to me see many people buying shoes and purses at the price of a monthly-lease for a car. Ooh, okay... my vendor had a $35 mini-cutie-purse, that's make a bargain, right ?
Do I enjoy myself ? Be a volunteer it is in my blood and I love SHFB but was impossible not to remember the video that my husband and my daughter watched the night before about a missionary project in Niger where each little kid needs a $30 a month to be feed.
How is possible to expend money on shoes and accessories like that ? And then comes the always-saying : "But if you have that kind of money..." No, absolutely not. That's a ridiculous excuse to avoid to think about real priorities in life. Mine, definitely is not my wardrobe but lives.
Anyway, was a fabulous event with a huge success.  I'm so glad to see another effort of Second Harvest Food Bank through Wine, Women and Shoes event to continue fight against hunger in the world. Good cause and as Steve Brown says 'You Think about that'! 

*Do you want to be a volunteer ? Check here:  http://www.foodbankcentralflorida.org/site/PageServer
Event pictures: 
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000563795724#!/media/set/fbx/?set=a.200945066611627.55581.179614252078042

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home